Friday, July 15, 2011

Yoga Ain't Cheap

Who says yoga is cheap?


I used to think yoga was less demanding (investment-wise) than other activities. You didn't need fancy equipment like those used in Pilates and TRX. No need for bike trails, boxing gloves or swimming pools.  All you needed was a mat. 


Pilates

Looking at my expense sheet, I have come to reconsider this notion. Yoga expenses in the beginning consisted of tops, bottoms, mats and towels. It was a slippery slope from there. Soon came the books, DVDs, lounge clothes, pillows, jackets, etc. 

Aparigraha aside, I do not regret the things I have bought. (Okay, maybe some of them. But most of them, I consider valuable and worthwhile :D) I know that a pair of shorts and a plain t-shirt will serve me just as well in my practice. I don't really need the technical gear. Or do I?

Beyond Yoga. Valuable and worthwhile :)


In my opinion, our yoga gear is a reflection of our commitment to our practice. It's true, we can practice in ratty houseclothes. But as I am the kind of person who takes care in my appearance (sometimes!) then I would also like to give the same level of attention and detail to a practice that I immerse myself in. 

So maybe I won't mind spending for a good mat and towel that I will use everyday. But I probably won't spring for "energy flow" sandals. (See here). Some people will! Kanya-kanya lang talaga...

Juil Sandals. They won't block your feet's natural energy flow


2 comments:

  1. what does the energy flow sandals do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soles of Juil sandals have copper conductors that “discharge and absorb the earth’s natural energies with every step you take, connecting you to the earth in a way that traditional footwear doesn’t.” - according to their company info. If you are getting a pair, please let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...