Thursday, March 10, 2011

How Lotion Helped My Supta Vajrasana, and Other Tips...

Supta Vajrasana is on my list of poses that are "coming". Practice, practice but still my elbows refuse to slide over each other. As a result, I always let go of my bind. One day, for reasons based on vanity, I placed lotion on my arms before practice. And lo and behold! My elbows slid over each other and I held my bind! *dance of joy*



This little miracle inspired me to list other tips and tricks, learned from my wonderful teachers and from our beautiful yoga community.

Eka Pada Sirsasana and Dwipada Sirsasana
Women with long hair will have a bit of help in these poses. When putting a leg behind the head, a ponytail can help keep the leg in place instead of having the leg slide up over the neck.


Urdhva Mukha Paschimattanasana
After rolling up on your sitbones, keep eyes gaze firmly on the toes. Keep them there as you move your hands to the heels of your feet. This will keep you steady on your sitbones for the 5 counts.


Lagu Vajrasana
As you bring your head to the floor, keep your intention on mulabandha and manipura (navel chakra). Also keep your gaze on your nose. Big inhale, then engage navel and mulabandha when coming up. 


Bakasana
Keep your gaze about a foot or two away from your nose. Since the floor is a vast monochromatic expanse, I sometimes put a clip or a hairpin in front of my mat to make sure my gaze is fixed at one point.


Happy practice!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...