Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Ashtanga Playlist

On days when I wake up too late to catch a class, or when I simply want to practice alone, my companions are my mat, my towel and my iPod. 


I find that a great playlist can mean the difference between a ho-hum practice and an inspired one. Here's what's on my Ashtanga Playlist (best played on Shuffle mode)

  • Baba O'Riley by The Who
  • Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins
  • Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) by Beyonce
  • Good Girls Go Bad by Cobra Starship
  • Teenage Dream by Katy Perry
  • Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
  • When We Were Young by the Killers
  • Crazy on You by Heart
  • Cherry Lips by Garbage
  • War Pigs by Faith No More
  • Paint It, Black by The Rolling Stones
  • Elevation by U2
  • Sabotage by Beastie Boys
  • Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd
  • John the Fisherman by Primus
  • Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz

          (and more songs that betray my age...)



Purists may think that only New Age music or recorded chantings are appropriate when doing your sadhana. Some even think silence is required. But so what if I listen to Guns n Roses' greatest hits while sweating through the standing series? In the end, I finish my practice, happy and contented. And I guess that's what counts :)


2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I think that music certainly has the ability to move the soul, so what better way to REALLY get the most out of your moving meditation ashtanga practice than a playlist that speaks to you? I am still looking for mine, but for now, Krishna Das's Breath of the Heart is my go-to. That fits into your "new age chanting" category, so it may not be for you, but I'm glad you've found your ashtanga groove music. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this now! Thanks Kitty! To each his (or her) own, I say :) I may look up Breath of the Heart one of these days. I am trying to push the edges of my music repertoire :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...